Wednesday 30 May 2012

book recs: mari's favourites


I figured that today, I would write out a list of my top three favourite books and explain why. Books have always been important to me and I wanted to share some of my absolute favourites.

 
 Prequel to the Lord of The Rings, this book follows the adventure of a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins and his journey across Middle Earth. Of course, it's more than that, but I don't really want to spoil it for you. I first read this book in elementary school and it completely transformed my way of thinking. I became enveloped in this fantasy world and I never wanted the book to end. The Lord of the Rings series itself is also phenomenal, but The Hobbit will always have a special place in my heart as the book that introduced me to a whole new fantasy world.
 In this science fiction novel, the main character - Ender - is a genius child chosen by the government to try and save the world from another alien attack. I love this book because I've always been a fan of science fiction novels. Other sci-fi authors such as Rad Bradbury and Douglas Adams will always be amazing to me, but this book stands out. You get a view into this child genius' mind as he tries to process these great and terrifying situations and it is, frankly, fantastic. This book really got into my brain and made me almost think the way the main character did, which can be difficult for many books to achieve. Over all, I adored this book and would for sure recommend it to someone, sci-fi fan or not.

 I actually read this book quite recently, and had heard quite a bit about it. Many people I talked to about it either adored it or couldn't stand it, but I figured I would give it a chance anyway. And let me say, totally worth it. This book is a lot more than meets the eye. Not only is it wonderfully prose-like in its writing, but the story itself is overpowering and interesting. It encapsulates not only the insane vibe of the 1920's but also the personal narrative of a man called Jay Gatsby.

So there you have it - my favourite books! I actually have a lot more, but I figured that I would narrow it down for the purpose of this post. Do you agree/disagree? Tell me! As well, tell me what your favourite books are!

No comments:

Post a Comment